What is “Fast and Testimony” meeting? Simply, it’s a Sunday meeting held once a month, normally on the first Sunday of the month, where members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint meet while fasting and bear their testimonies to each other. The money they save from fasting two meal is donated to the church to help others.
While attending such a meeting in my home Ward I was uplifted spiritually, and I really needed it.
I had developed a habit of taking notes during all the church meetings I attend, this way I can ponder on the talks that were given. Sometimes I write my thoughts on what the speaker is saying, so it makes more sense to me – or I feel inspire to ponder on what I fell the Lord is directing me in. I enjoy doing this however, I normally don’t take notes during Testimony meetings, but that Sunday I did and here are some of them.
- We need to have a strategy on how we intend to defend ourselves and our families from the fiery darts of the adversary. Protecting our families is one of the most important things we can do – the Lord and the Scripture are how we can learn to do it.
- Many people expressed their testimony that the Church is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.
- The Lord speaks to all of us and knows us perfectly. If we come to Him He will empower us with the ability and strength we need.
- Getting back to the basic things of the gospel is critical in our lives – remembering to pray, ponder and study the scriptures each day.
- We are children of a Loving Heavenly Father and he has sent us here, He has not forgotten us, but watches over us. His Son Jesus Christ atoned for all of our sins. All we need to do is accept it, its a gift.
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost is given to all baptized members of the Church and will guide us if we only listen and obey the commandments.
- There is power in pray and fasting, many have first-hand accounts of how the prays and fasting for others has helped them
- We get strengths from bearing our testimonies and serving in the church.
- God lives and loves each one of us – He speaks to us, calls us to do missionary work to help bring others to the truthfulness of the restored gospel.
While I didn’t get up myself, here are a few of my thoughts during the meeting
- While taking the Sacrament this came into my mind “It is because of the atonement that each day we can have a new start, a fresh beginning. Our Lord Jesus Christ has paid the price. The blood that was shed on that fateful day was for me and others who fall short each day – the Body and Blood was given freely so I MAY LIVE. Repentance is a blessing, its paying my part (as if I could ever) and the Lord has paid the rest. We all come to Sacrament meeting because we believe and we Love.